Is this a rooster? (silkie)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Fairy Godmartyr, Nov 17, 2010.

1. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I think that I already know the answer on this one, but I thought I'd get opinions from others who have been at this a bit longer than I have. I got three silkie chicks (hatched June 14) with the hope that at least one would be female. And I think that's what I got--one female. I am positive that one is a rooster (crowing, mounting my other chickens), and pretty certain that one is a pullet (much smaller). I think the third is another roo, but I'm not positive. It is somewhere between the other two in size. Same with comb and wattles--somewhere between the other two. I have never heard it crow and (so far) it has no problem being around the one I am certain is a rooster.

[​IMG]
    This is my known rooster.

[​IMG]
    This is the one in question.

[​IMG]
    Here they are together. Don't let the perspective fool you--the one on the left (chicken in question) is actually smaller than the one on the right.

[​IMG]
    This is the chicken in question (front) with the one I'm pretty sure is a female (back).

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Bumping this back up.

Opinions? Anyone? [​IMG]

3. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Last pic you have a male in front and female in back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by