Is this a rooster thing? Or will hens do it too?

Sep 10, 2022
Do just roosters do this neck feather raising show down? Or will hens do it too?

I havent figured out the genders of all my flock but I assume I have a few roosters in there waiting for me to find out. I figured 1 out, suspecting other. I suspect the white one in the photo

I am hoping hens do this too.
Is this just pecking order things?

Attachments

• 20221019_090109.jpg
    20221019_090109.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 17
Do just roosters do this neck feather raising show down? Or will hens do it too?

I havent figured out the genders of all my flock but I assume I have a few roosters in there waiting for me to find out. I figured 1 out, suspecting other. I suspect the white one in the photo

I am hoping hens do this too.
Is this just pecking order things?
Yes hens do it to. It's called a hackle flash. It's often not quite so dramatic looking on hens because they tend to have shorter hackle feathers.
There is the hackle flash which is a bossy type warning and there is raised hackles which stay up until the dispute is over.

Yes hens do it to. It's called a hackle flash. It's often not quite so dramatic looking on hens because they tend to have shorter hackle feathers.
There is the hackle flash which is a bossy type warning and there is raised hackles which stay up until the dispute is over.
So interesting! Thank you for this information!

Back
Top Bottom