Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by henryhen, Nov 7, 2016.

1. henryhen

henryhen New Egg

Nov 7, 2016
    First time chicken owner here! I bought 2 chickens about 2 weeks ago for my kids and they've been great. However, this morning we heard what sounded like a cock o doodle (but not quite). We're now thinking it's a rooster. The person that sold it to us said it was a hen when we bought it. It was about 4 months old at the time so it should be about 4 1/2 months now. Can you please tell me if it's a rooster or a hen? Thank you so much! Pics attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! I'm sorry but, your chicken looks like a rooster.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Especially with the way the saddle feathers are looking.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Take him back and get a refund. They intentionally sold you a cockerel. Those saddle feathers don't lie. Only males have feathering like that.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, henryhen, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community. I agree with the above - that looks like a roo. :(. Junebuggena is correct - they had to have known it was a rooster. I'd seek a refund. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. Abby32922

Abby32922 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2016
    Welcome! That's definitely a rooster [​IMG] I'm with Junebuggena, go get a refund. The comb doesn't lie. That is a pretty bird though.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Can you post photos of the rest of the flock, just to make sure you didn't get totally ripped off? Sometimes, unscrupulous sellers will try to pass of their extra cockerels as pullets to novices.

8. henryhen

henryhen New Egg

Nov 7, 2016
    OK thanks everyone. I'll bring the Rooster back and exchange it for a Hen tomorrow. I really appreciate your prompt and thoughtful replies.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    100% definite rooster, and he didn't get that way in two weeks time. Seller KNEW it was a cockerel. I would be very leery of the next one he says is a hen You may want to advise that the folks at BYC will be checking out the next one. Please send pictures of any new one as soon as possible.

10. Abby32922

Abby32922 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2016

Good choice! If you are ever interested in ordering chicks, Purely Poultry is a pretty good place. Be sure to tell them that we'll be checking this one out, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by