Is this a rooster? :(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luvmychickas, Aug 5, 2009.

1. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    When I placed my order for chicks in the spring, I ordered a bantam assortment. This is one of the ones I got and it just kept growing and growing and now is all legs and nicknamed bigfoot LOL. I am hoping its not, since I already have a rooster [​IMG]

ETA: She was hatched April 22, 2009

Here she is next to a cochin (to show size)
    [​IMG]

Bigfoot lives!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My DD says "innocent until proven cockeral"! [​IMG]

3. chickentracy

chickentracy In the Brooder

The brahma is a Cockerel...Sorry!

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Maybe you got a light Brahma? Are Brahma bantams bigger than other bantams?

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    its a BOY and its NOT a bantam....[​IMG]

6. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I was afraid she was a he [​IMG] I know some bantam huh?? Does anyone have 2 roos living together in peace? These two were hatched the same day and raised together [​IMG]

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:I believe I've read that Brahmas are a pretty laid back breed... What is the other breed rooster? I had 3 roosters grow up together and live in peace, a Barred Rock, a Dutch bantam, and a Japanese bantam.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm no pro on sexing brahmas (I'm actually trying to figure out my 7 week old brahma baby), but this brahma is 15 weeks old - almost old enough to lay (well... if it were another breed - don't know about brahma laying age). Wouldn't a 15 week old chicken have a red comb & wattles or are the brahmas a lot slower in that area?

To the OP - do you happen to have any pictures of your brahma when it was between 6-9 weeks old?

9. starforever61

starforever61 Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    Those saddle feathers are looking on the pointy side...you may have a roo. [​IMG]

10. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    My other roo is a GL wyandotte. They of course were all ordered as hens [​IMG] All my chickens are super friendly. As soon as they see me the whole flock, geese & ducks included, with the turkey leading the pack run to see me [​IMG] Bigfoot is really friendly and he and the rest of my chickens eat out of our hands and we can pick most of the up too [​IMG]

I don't have any other pics [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: