Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rose33647, Aug 17, 2010.

1. We got a few Silver Laced Wyandote chicks a few months ago. They were all supposed to be females. This one... it doesn't look like the rest. Is it a roo?
    [​IMG]
    Mary

2. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    What is the age?? [​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's a roo or a pullet, but it may be mixed with something. SLW don't have feathers on their legs. [​IMG]
    If I had to guess, I would say a roo.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help, [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Thanks, Lisa. I've been looking at pictures online and noticed that about the feathered legs. So, it may not even be a Wyandote at all...[​IMG]

4. Oh, sorry, it is four months old.

5. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    Some of the wing feathers are iridescent green, which would make me think roo. Females tend to be more drab. But I'm no expert and we don't know the breed, so who knows. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Definitely a rooster but NOT a Wyandotte. That is a Dark Brahma rooster. 1. it has feathered legs 2. the color pattern means male 3. he has a pea comb instead of a rose comb and 4. he is feathering in slow. If you look at pictures of a Dark Brahma rooster and hen you will know what number 2 means. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  7. Great!!! Thanks, Brad [​IMG] I've been looking at pictures and videos, and I think you are right.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Your welcome! [​IMG] If you can, I'd keep him. Brahma roosters are suppose to be really nice [​IMG]

9. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    Yep. That's a roo. And I agree..not a Wyandotte. He looks more like a dark Brahma to me too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by