Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skoerlin33, Dec 21, 2013.

1. skoerlin33

skoerlin33 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Hello, My kids talked me into getting chickens right around easter this year. I've had backyard chickens growing up, and thought it would be good experience for them (they are 10&11). We got 3 chicks (an Americauna, A Dominique,& a Barred Rock) From the start the Barred Rock and the Dominique have been absolutely sweet, while the Americauna has always been super skittish (even after being handled daily) Anyhow, I read somewhere that roosters have pointed feathers and became concerned that my Americauna (Reese) was a rooster. It would be heartbreaking to find out that he is a rooster since they are not allowed in our area. He doesn't make much noise, I think the 2 girls are louder than him at times. Do they start crowing at a certain age? Any help would be much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All is good - you have 3 pullets.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I agree with sourland.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You have all females, and that Easter egger sure looks like she should be giving you some blue or green eggs, if not now then sometime soon!

That color pattern often freaks folks out, the color of the feathers makes them look more pointed then the actual feather is. It's like an optical illusion. If you take a sheet of paper and lay it behind a feather, you can see the feather itself is nice and rounded, not long and pointy like a rooster's would be.

Love the puffy cheeks!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

6. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hattie has that color pattern, and it makes her feathers look pointy, but it's just the pattern on the fenders, like Donrae said. Oh, and Hattie is regularly referred to as "Psychochicken," She is pretty skittish.

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X3 All pullets

Your EE has the common EE pullet/hen color, males don't come in her coloring

8. skoerlin33

skoerlin33 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Great!! Thank you all for the responses, I am so relieved that she is not a he. Even though she is skittish, she can be very sweet when she warms up and it would break our hearts if we had to give her up. Thank you again and Happy New year!!

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    They are all pullets, and the one is an easter egger, not an ameraucana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by