Is This A Rooster?

philangies

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
I ordered 6 barred rock female chicks that I've been raising since 1 day old. I noticed one started growing the comb and waddle (i think that's the name for under the neck thing) and that the others defer to her. Now they are almost 7 weeks old and the other combs are only tiny and still orange, but hers are huge. Is there any chance she's a rooster?

I'm very inexperienced, but from what I've read from other posts a rooster should be more silver than this one, so I wasn't concerned until recently because her comb is getting bigger while none ofthe other 5 are at all.

The fact that a barred rock rooster would have more silver was throwing me off too, but I have never seen a 7 week old hen with a comb that big. That comb is bigger than the comb of my 20 week old jersey giant hen.

at that age the tails are still shorter on roos which it looks like it is...

I ordered 6 barred rock female chicks that I've been raising since 1 day old. I noticed one started growing the comb and waddle (i think that's the name for under the neck thing) and that the others defer to her. Now they are almost 7 weeks old and the other combs are only tiny and still orange, but hers are huge. Is there any chance she's a rooster?
Sorry that is a rooster
hide.gif
But he is really cute!

Last edited:
Ok thank you. I'm not sure what to do now. Are there any advantages of having a rooster? I think I've read that they are protective of their flock.

Ok thank you. I'm not sure what to do now. Are there any advantages of having a rooster? I think I've read that they are protective of their flock.

You'll get mixed reviews on that - IMO, though, the only "advantage is having fertilized eggs, which is only an advantage if that is something you want. As for the rest of the things a rooster may/can do, I've seen/had hens do all of it too.

Back
Top Bottom