Is this a Royal Palm poult?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turkeymom, Jun 13, 2011.

1. turkeymom

turkeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    Ok, I was told these were 3-4 week old Royal Palm poults and that the lighter one might be a tom - it's quite a bit larger than the others, which are all the white/black like the one in this picture.
    What do you think?
    I'm wondering if the lighter one is a bourbon red or something. And I thought the royal palms should be more white at this age! I'm just confused.

[​IMG]

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine are all white at the same age.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I see a little tan/beige in there as well. A pure RP would be just black and white.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    On the left is not RP the one on the right looks to be but has a little too much black. May be mixed ?

5. turkeymom

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    Great. I looked so long for royal palms and then drove an hour each way to pick these up [​IMG]
    Oh well, they're sweet poults (but I could've gotten sweet poults a whole lot easier!).
    Thanks!

6. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i'm finding it very difficult to get pure poults too! the one on the left looks burbon to me. I bought a dozen each burbon and palm eggs, i got alot of mutts, and 2 of each... but now that my palms are feathering out some, i see some beige on them, so they are not truely what i wanted either [​IMG] Also, the chances for me to have gotten a pair are slim to none [​IMG] So i feel your pain!

7. turkeymom

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. I wanted to get some good birds that I wouldn't mind breeding b/c my kids are getting interested and want to see them hatch. And I have no interest in breeding mutts, but I'm already attached to them. I guess I'll have to start petitioning my husband for a new coop, so we can get more next year![​IMG]

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    And I have no interest in breeding mutts

The mutts will eat good if you want to eat some. The one on the left does look like a BR and the other looks like RP. It does have a bit more black at 3 weeks than mine do. My sweetgrass look just like that at that age. Only time will tell! I know some people make mistakes and sell you the wrong thing but I really hate it when the knowingly do it! Any breeded should have been able to tell you right away that the one was not a RP for sure! But also, now you know!! Sometimes we get so blinded when we really want something and think we find it, even though it might be a little off and we still want it!

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    If ya'll get interested I do have pure RP
    His tails a little ruffled in this pic but is nicely aligned and clean markings [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Lighter one looks like a calico and the other a royal palm. No turkey is a mutt if you check out Porters you will see all sorts of colors that were originally crossed to make that color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by