Is this a runner duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by erinszoo, Jun 29, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Ok, we are new to having ducks and didn't get to pick what kind we wanted. We originally got 2 of them but one died within 24 hours of getting them. This one is now about 7 weeks old and is almost completely feathered out. It is already quacking which I read somewhere that meant it was female. She's very funny and stands up and runs everywhere she goes, getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible.

We think she is a runner duck and that she is possibly a fawn and white but we aren't sure. Any help?

[​IMG]

2. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Your description of her behavior does make her sound like a runner, but really that could also be attributed to her young age. Her coloration doesn't seem quite right for a fawn-and-white runner... to me she almost looks like a Buff or Buff Orpington (two names for the same duck breed). Also... her face seems a little too fat for her to be a runner. (No offense!!) Even the production quality ones are usually a little more streamlined.

Do you have any other photos of her? Maybe something from the side or one that isn't so dark? I don't have any Buff ducks myself, so maybe someone who has one would be able to help.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Is there such a thing as a buff runner?

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm thinking she might be a buff or a buff-runner hybrid. There was one guy here who had a female buff that everyone thought was a runner when she was about that age, too.

5. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:Is there such a thing as a buff runner?

yes

6. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    That what i have then lol

7. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Yep, one of the parents of the ducklings I purchased was a buff and it looks like one of my hens will turn out buff. Still waiting for her final molt to be sure. Here she is, she's the lightest of the ducks pictured.

[​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree. Too meaty to be a pure runner. A Buff/Runner cross is very likely. If that's what you have I hope you like eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by