Is this a runner duck?

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
Ok, we are new to having ducks and didn't get to pick what kind we wanted. We originally got 2 of them but one died within 24 hours of getting them. This one is now about 7 weeks old and is almost completely feathered out. It is already quacking which I read somewhere that meant it was female. She's very funny and stands up and runs everywhere she goes, getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible.

We think she is a runner duck and that she is possibly a fawn and white but we aren't sure. Any help?

98041_267015_2150211204340_1518177212_2349069_4425364_o.jpg

Your description of her behavior does make her sound like a runner, but really that could also be attributed to her young age. Her coloration doesn't seem quite right for a fawn-and-white runner... to me she almost looks like a Buff or Buff Orpington (two names for the same duck breed). Also... her face seems a little too fat for her to be a runner. (No offense!!) Even the production quality ones are usually a little more streamlined.

Do you have any other photos of her? Maybe something from the side or one that isn't so dark? I don't have any Buff ducks myself, so maybe someone who has one would be able to help.

Last edited:
I'm thinking she might be a buff or a buff-runner hybrid. There was one guy here who had a female buff that everyone thought was a runner when she was about that age, too.

Quote:
Yep, one of the parents of the ducklings I purchased was a buff and it looks like one of my hens will turn out buff. Still waiting for her final molt to be sure. Here she is, she's the lightest of the ducks pictured.

runnerscorner.jpg

I agree. Too meaty to be a pure runner. A Buff/Runner cross is very likely. If that's what you have I hope you like eggs
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom