Is this a runner duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buttons59, Oct 4, 2012.

1. buttons59

buttons59 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    I have hatched some eggs I got from a farm, they all look like runner ducks except one is much shorter and just looks different to the others, is it a runner duck or a cross with something else or just a different type of duck, I would be very grateful if someone could help thanks, she is the one in the middle and at the bottom she is on the far right, the others are the same age but they are much taller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    None of those are pure Runners, at least not per the Standard.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Button, what the other posted failed to say was they are runners, but not show quality ducks. They look very much like the ducks hatcheries sell as runners. The little one could just be small in stature. it could be an odd mix, it could be off genetics. Did you see the ducks at the farm where the eggs came from?

4. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    I failed to say nothing. In poultry, purity is determined by phenotype, not pedigree. As such, the blue bird does not represent a pure Runner. The other two, whatever they are, represent pure Runners neither in type nor in color.

1 person likes this.
  5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Button, they will make great pets, hope you havent been made to feel badly about the ducks you hatched, enjoy them and share more pictures when you can.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have runners and while they are not show quality, they are runners. Their body types vary a bit. We have Einz, very tall but a little broad in the shoulders, and Acht, lovely and slender like a wine bottle. Little Elfie is less than two feet tall, but has a beautiful upright stance when she is paying close attention to something.

Zehn is our buxom one, always has had broader shoulders and a wider body.

They are chocolates and blacks, and now, at nearly three years old, everyone has at least a little "snow," the white feathers that disqualify them from shows.

But they are each and every one lovely ducks, engaging, communicative, responsive, and a joy to have around.

Congratulations on your ducks!

7. sarbee42

sarbee42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Morrisburg, Ontario
    They are very pretty! Could just be a runner from a commercial strain. I know I have a few here that are shorter and stubbier than they should be but they're still entertaining.
    http://www.runnerduck.net/photo_gallery/default.html
    ^^ They have a lot of pictures and info on runner duck colors and what not. [​IMG]

8. buttons59

buttons59 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Thankyou everyone for your views, they are just pet ducks to us so they are not for show, and they are all wonderful animals, i just wondered whether that one was a mix or something, it does not really matter as i love them all anyway.

Thanks again

Gillian

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They look like Runners to me. They are better quality than most hatcheries send, but not close enough to the standard to be shown. I think they are very pretty and will be lovely pets.

10. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    They sure are cute! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by