Is this a Runner?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by verlyn78, Sep 12, 2012.

1. verlyn78

verlyn78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    I bought 2 ducks at the feed store. One Fawn Runner and one Blue Runner. I am starting to think the Blue(brown) one is not a runner after all. It is much more squatty than the other and its head looks different to me. The fawn one is always standing up while the other is squatting down. Here are a couple of pictures I need to get more of them standing though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    To me, they both look like runners....how does it walk upright? I had runners and when they are calm, they walked like normal ducks....when they were alert they were standing straight up

3. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    they look like runner

but could be a runnder drake crossed with another

will still give a pretty good upright stance

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They look like my runner babies did. Now, Zehn is my most stocky runner. They are pet quality, not show quality. But she is still a runner, through and through. Stands up straight when she is on alert, makes the runner duck ah AH ah ah noise, longish legs set near the hips (my Buff's legs seem to me closer together, more under the body than on the side).

Of course, we all need regular photographic updates to monitor their development [​IMG]

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The brown one could be a khaki campbell. Its hard to tell but if it doesn't have an upright stance and if the head and bill is shaped different than the other runner, chances are its a campbell or other breed.

1 person likes this.
  6. verlyn78

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    The brown one is more calm maybe that is it. He/she only seems to stand all the way upright when it is stretching, but maybe that is just part of its personality.

7. verlyn78

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    I will have to look at some pictures of the campbells to compare.
    Thanks
    I will Try to get some pictures of them standing.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    They both look like runners to me. We have both a blue and a fawn and white. For some reason our fawn and white stands upright more than the blue. Maybe she is just the one who is in charge of keeping an eye out. [​IMG]

9. verlyn78

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    So the Blue just don't stand as tall that is interesting. I wonder why that is.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    That's common for hatchery runners. Their stance varies widely depending on the individual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by