Is this a Ruptured Air Sac?

katelwil

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
I believe this is a ruptured air sac but wanted to confirm. Never seen it first hand.

It's been like this for maybe a week or longer? I thought it was just a full crop until today when I spread the feathers back.
20210731_202522.jpg
20210731_202452.jpg
20210731_202552.jpg

Is this chick behaving normally or not? If it's behaving normally, a large crop may be normal for it during this stage of growth. Some chicks can sport some seriously large and pendulous crops and not really have anything wrong with them.

But if your chick is behaving lethargically, not wanting to eat, then there could be a crop issue or even a constipation problem.

Withholding food from any chicken with a crop disorder is not something I recommend doing. Adjusting the diet away from carbs if there's a yeast infection is as far as I'm willing to go. It's very important that a chicken receive nourishment even if a crop disorder is suspected.

I'm treating a hen with a yeast infection currently, and she has gotten applesauce, boiled rice with keifer, grated carrot, a little raw rolled oats, and boiled egg. Starving a sick chicken risks them getting too weak to eat and to recover.

Your chick probably is one of those that eats a lot (little glutton) and drags around a full crop and it's a wonder that these piggies don't tip over from the weight. But their bodies eventually catch up to their ample crops and they appear normal like the others. Give it time. I'd guess by age five weeks, the crop will not appear so cumbersome.

Don't worry about the food withholding. Your chick would have made it very plain that it was hungry and there's no danger of it starving.

I feed my new chicks Purina Flock Raiser in lieu of chick starter. It's a good feed and wet or dry or fermented, you can't go wrong.

Can you remove food/water at night and see if the lump reduces overnight?

Is the chick having difficulty breathing?
Yeah I can definitely remove the food tonight and see how it looks in the morning!

Thankfully no respiratory issues but I'm keeping an eye out for any that might develop.

Is this chick behaving normally or not? If it's behaving normally, a large crop may be normal for it during this stage of growth. Some chicks can sport some seriously large and pendulous crops and not really have anything wrong with them.

But if your chick is behaving lethargically, not wanting to eat, then there could be a crop issue or even a constipation problem.

Withholding food from any chicken with a crop disorder is not something I recommend doing. Adjusting the diet away from carbs if there's a yeast infection is as far as I'm willing to go. It's very important that a chicken receive nourishment even if a crop disorder is suspected.

I'm treating a hen with a yeast infection currently, and she has gotten applesauce, boiled rice with keifer, grated carrot, a little raw rolled oats, and boiled egg. Starving a sick chicken risks them getting too weak to eat and to recover.
Thank you for the feedback I greatly appreciate it :)

She is acting completely normal, despite the enormous crop. Today is the only day that I withheld food completely and I won't do it again after reading your advice. I already felt bad doing it. Should I watch her intake or let her manage it herself?

They currently eat flock raiser crumbles, Purina brand, is that suitable? I previously provided 24/7 access to the dry crumbles but have started providing it wet, without 24/7 access.

Thankfully she doesn't seem to have any yeast issues, but I have been checking for it. I will have to give her a scrambled egg treat as an apology for depriving her of food today. 😭

Back
Top Bottom