Is this a safe mix?

ChickenChaser34432

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
At Liberty Farm
I have 1 BO Roo and 3 BO hens that I got from TS-Co as chicks about 6 months ago. Roo is ready for some lovin' and hens started laying this week. I have heard different things about this so now I ask you my BYC peeps...is it ok for them to breed since I got them in the same batch they COULD be sibblings,,??right?? NOW part 2 this is my 1st peep to adult chicken crew, so the girls just started layin and love is in the air..how long 2 wait b4 collecting eggs to incubate? I have always bought adults & sold peeps and adults, but never raised a crew from peeps to adulthood! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!!

It is fine to breed them together because chances of them coming from the same parents is about 1 in 4 gozillion with Hatchery stock so no worry there. Next Q.......... the rule of thumb is to wait for a few days of regular laying, first to check the egg's to ensure they are coming along well..... IE shape, shell hardness, color/pigment.
The most important thing is that you have to wait a while because of the way the hens plumbing is wired for lack of better terms. There will be several eggs in her Ovarian tract the first 6-8 will not be fertile, because they were already there before being fertilized. The first few attempts by the rooster may not be of good quality as his plumbing is also just getting a start.
So it is best to wait a few days to a week or so, watch and inspect the eggs, then you can feel good about collecting eggs for incubation. In the meantime mark the eggs they lay and check for the bulls eye fertility test.

idunno.gif
OK whats with the bulls eye test..,I only know of candling after a week of bator therapy!?!? Forgive my ignorance in advance!

Back
Top Bottom