1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a self-blue/lavender or a splash? Your opinion please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Below are photos of a 5 week old cochin that we hatched from shipped eggs. The eggs were lemon-blue from someone who is working on that coloration in cochins. Of course, we expected to get various colorations. We got 2 blues with light yellow chests, 1 yellow, 1 throwback that looks like a partridge (pretty though) and the one below. It was born silvery and basically feathered in the same way. You can see very few darker "spots". What would you call the color?? (The first 2 photos were taken on the porch with a flash...the second 2 obviously outside with no flash)

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pretty baby! The first two pics look lavender but the second two appear splash. The ones in the outside light-are they the ones that look most like the chick does in person? If so, it looks splash to me. If the baby really looks very light blue, then I'd say self-blue/lavender.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I think the outside shots are probably most like the color I see...just a little bit lighter in the sun than in the shade. I thought it was a splash as well but it didn't have many "spots" like most of the splash I've seen.

I'm debating whether to keep this baby. What would I get if I crossed it with a blue....or a black?

4. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Well that could be your experiment. If you cross it with a black and it is a slpash then you would get a blue. If it is a lavender you would get a black. The top photos looks like the ones I saw last night. The feathering on them just wasn't nearly as pretty as yours.

5. TheKidAndDame

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Oh, but I would definitely keep it! [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OK...we'll keep it! BTW...do you think it's a pullet or cockerel. I really don't care either way.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    One more questions for you genetics people...Assuming this is a splash...if I crossed this pullet (I"m thinking it is, anyway) with a self-blue roo...what colors would I get??

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm pretty sure you can tell by the feather shafting. Lavender should have white shafts and the splash would be blue. I can't see them in the pics, but beautiful bird you have there regardless. Looks like a pullet to me.

Edited to add - if it is a self blue, I would not breed it to anything from a blueXblackxsplash mating. I would only use black from a black X black mating.

Jody

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A splash to a self blue will get you black.

10. TheKidAndDame

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Quote:A splash to a self blue will get you black.

I don't believe you will get a black. I believe you will get lavender split blues. Not sure though, I am certainly no expert. I agree with Jody. Trying to breed to a BBS group would be too messy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by