Is this a she "Sneak Pot" or he "Sneak Pot"?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roysnider, Jul 16, 2011.

1. roysnider

roysnider Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    We bought 3 chicks from Atwoods that came from Ideal Hatchery in TX. They were marked with wing bands for pullets. We gave one away and have 2 left. My husband saw them in the shipping box at the store and the section they were in was marked as Ancona. We began to think that one of them was a cockerel as the single comb and wattles got really big compared to the other pullet. One day we heard a crow from the box they were in and decided she was a he. He would fly out of his coop in the barn daily or nightly and run around outside. He was the only one to get out so we called him "Sneak Pot". Thought someone might be wondering on the name.
    Well, the last two weeks Sneak Pot has done the hen hunch down when a rooster gets close to do his thing. Sneak Pot has even done it when we go to put our hand over him. Now, I have never seen a rooster do the Hen Squat. We are confused and not sure whether we have a pullet or a cockerel.
    Here is a pic of Sneak Pot. He/she is appox. 19 weeks old Sneak Pot has been in a coop with the other ancona pullet and a Hamburg pullet. We have gotten 2 or 3 small bantam size white eggs from this coop along with 4 other larger bantam white eggs from this coop. We were thinking the eggs were coming from the Hamburg as she is several weeks older. The 4 eggs were also double yolked.
    Yesterday we added 2 more pullets, Silkie and Brahma Bantam which have not started laying and are appox 19 weeks old. Today we got a white egg that is larger than our Buckeye eggs (way larger than the other eggs from the last 2 weeks).
    It's all a mystery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Those are some honkin' big wattles, and it looks like sickle feathers coming in in the tail ... I think you may have a young cockerel who is determined not to get his clock cleaned by the dominant roo.

3. veganpilot

veganpilot New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Is she crowing or anything? You could look around her neck and look for the saddle feathers. Cockerels tend to have more pointed-shaped hackle feathers around their neck while pullets have more curved.

'She', however, looks more roo-ish to me [​IMG] By the way, your chicken is really beautiful.

4. roysnider

roysnider Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Thank You. Sneak Pot makes cluck noises when ever you go to feed them. The other one has an extremely small comb and wattles compared to him. I have not heard a crow out of him lately but it might be hard to hear one when there are 87 chickens in the yard in various coops. Sneak Pot is the most vocal one in this coop and always wants to come out when you feed. We let them out yesterday and today and when he came out an older Araucana pullet went to peck him on the head and he did the hen squat immediately. We'll have to take a look at the two of them in the morning and take more pics.
    If Sneak Pot is a cockerel for sure, than he will need to find a new home soon. With a single comb that flops over, he will not show well at a Poultry show and I would not want to use him for breeding either. We have too many cocks and need to reduce. If he is a pullet, then his comb is just fine and can be show.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    She is very pretty.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I tend to agree. [​IMG]

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Definitely a hen. C'mon guys, with a comb that large a rooster would already have some serious "Male" feathers going on.

Ancona hen.
    [​IMG]

Ancona rooster.
    [​IMG]

They are a Mediterranean breed, hence the large comb. Definitely a hen.

8. jessleeh

jessleeh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    North SF Bay Area
    our leghorn hens at the 4h farm have combs/wattles like that too... for sure hens b/c they're laying. and their tail feathers are similar too... ??

9. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    while i am not familiar to this breed, my guess would be hen, as well. those saddle feathers, though slightly ambiguous (appear to be some on the side a bit longer than on the top), are short and rounded

10. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Looks to me like you have an Ancona pullet. As for her escape artistry, they can be a bit flighty and like to "roam", you seem to have a free spirit on your hands. At least she gives you big white eggs after she is done exploring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by