Is this a shell-less egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coop co-op, Nov 19, 2013.

1. coop co-op

coop co-op New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    I have 2 hens that have not started laying yet (they are both almost 6 months) I found this in the brooding box yesterday. Is it a shell-less egg? It did not appear to have a yoke...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have never seen one that looked like that. Normally they are egg shaped - just soft and squishy instead of hard. The appearance otherwise does look like an egg membrane though....weird. It almost looks like it has a tail - its hard to get perspective from a photo. It isn't possible its a tapeworm, is it?

3. coop co-op

coop co-op New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    oh wow, that would be a huge tapeworm! I's definitely not a tapeworm. Whatever it is, it is like 6-8 inches long. The outside was the texture of the 'paper' that lines the shell, and the inside was filled with some gelatinous substance, similar to the 'white' of the egg - but without a yoke, that I could see! I think I found another today, again buried in the bedding of their brooding box. I have 4 chickens total, 2 that I bought already laying eggs, and the other 2 that I mentioned that are not quite 6 months old. The 2 that I purchased are laying fine (quite prolifically), the 2 that I hatched look very healthy (if anything, healthier than the 2 I bought). I'm not sure what all that has to do with anything, but I figured the more information, the better!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd say that it's an "egg". Sometimes when pullets start laying, they produce some interesting eggs. She should settle down to produce a respectable egg soon.

5. coop co-op

coop co-op New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    Oh, thank you so much, Lazy Gardener! I had been hoping that was all. You don't think she is low on calcium?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by