Is this a sick chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kwyjibo, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    HI everyone,

Bride of Kwyjibo here (I've got to come up with a better name:p) All the chicks were doing so well but this morning I have this one that I think might be sick. I'm probably asking the impossible, but does anyone think this chick is dying? She is listless and only wants to sit under the heat lamp in the warmest spot and she doesn't Scurry away like the others do when I stick my arm in the brooder-- She's easy to catch. She will drink when I take her to the water but she won't eat when I take her to the food. She just wants to sit there under the heat lamp [​IMG]. Kwyjibo thinks she's just sleepy but I don't. You will see see that while the others are feeding, she is just standing. In the widest view pic, she is the one near the thermometer. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. foREVer

foREVer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Have you noticed bloody or runny poo?

Maybe she is just sleepy. Try switching your white light for a red bulb- it disturbs them less at night so she could sleep easier.

3. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    This is exactly what happened with the one chick I lost last week. Received my 15 chicks on July 20th. All very happy and healthy. I try to handle each chick every day so I know how much they each struggle when I hold them. When they were 6 days old I was cleaning the pen and picking each up and I noticed she didn't struggle when I picked her up. She would drink and not eat she just wanted to sleep in a corner. I lost her about an hour later. I just attributed it to either shipping stress or the heat. I'm sorry for your little sick one.

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    she could probably use some vitamin water. U can put save a chick in the water that u can get at TSC or feed store. or try poly-visol WITHOUT iron...it is an infant vitamin that u can find most any place like walmart and such. U can give her some diluted gatorade too. When i had a sick chick i used the save a chick, but the 2nd sick chicken got gatorade. i mixed a little bit of their crumble with the water and they eventually began to eat. u can boil an egg and mash it up fine and see if she will eat that. and u can try a little bit of plain yogurt to try to get her to eat. I would just use a jar lid and mix tiny amount up and dip her beak in the jar lid. both of my sick chicks survived and r very healthy teenagers now! [​IMG] Good luck!

5. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Thank you for your help! I'm going to try that right now.

6. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    I forgot to add that they are on vitamin water so I will try to get her to eat something and drink a little more. I noticed her crop seems empty.

7. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    earnhardtlvr,

What should I do if she still isn't interested?

I made mash w/ sav a chick and tried to hand feed her but still nothing. She kept calling for the other chicks so I put her in a 12 x 10 plastic bin made with holes (plenty of air flow and visibility) and her in a good spot within the lamps warmth. And put in her own chick water and mash and dipped her beak in both the mash and the water but she's too upset. I'll check after a little while to see how she is. I also boiled an egg which I'll try in a little bit.

Any more advice? Thanks for your help [​IMG]

Julia

8. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Luckily mine didn't mind being seperated from the others. I had a small box with a big old fuzzy slipper that the chick just fit in the openeing and i put paper towels under them cuz they wouldn't even get up to poop. I brought the chick upstairs with me and would just constantly try to get her to drink and eat about every hour. I would dip her beak or put it on my finger and sometimes I would tap the jar lid like they peck when they eat. Is there another chick that is kind of calm that u could put in with her if she wants a buddy? any chance she is cold in her new home?

9. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Is she ok today?

10. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Thank you both for asking about her......She is still alive though I keep expecting her to be dead every time I check on her. I've got her in a bin with holes in the brooder w/ a buddy, sav a chick, some feed sprinkled on the bottom. I also have a wire screen over the bin and some of the other chicks like to roost on it and that gives her some comfort. I feed her sav a chick every so often with drops from a straw but it is difficult to get her to take it. I'm about to try some egg in just a minute--no success earlier. She is so weak. The other chicks all seem quite healthy so perhaps it is a defect. I'll keep trying. I like the idea of a fuzzy something to snuggle in. She is so forlorn she sometimes she just calls for the other chicks even though her eyes are closed and it's the only strength she can muster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by