Is this a sign of a good mother?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AKD, Sep 12, 2011.

1. AKD

AKD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Hi all [​IMG]

A few days ago I got some new lavander araucana hens (well I was told they were, but I think they could have something else as well?).
    Anyway, I have set up a little quarantine station for them under the kids trampoline, and the next morning there was a lot of pacing and squawking by one of them (Willow).
    She seemed quite distressed so I tried to encourage her to go into the make-shift nesting box (aka dog kennel), even put a couple of golf balls in there.
    I had to go out, when I came home there was an egg [​IMG]

The next morning same behaviour from the other hen (Rosie)... I changed their bedding from shavings to straw and straight away, she went in and laid.

NOW, the behaviour I'm curious about was Willow dissapearing into the nesting box (while Rosie was busy announcing it to the world). After an hour
    she came out, and when I went in to check there was Rosie's egg sitting cosily in the middle of a well made nest with the golf balls!! I didn't put them anywhere
    near there, they were moved. So all of the noise I heard from Willow in the nesting box, was her making a nest..

Do you think she may be the 'type' to go broody??? Are these signs of a good mum?? [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I don't really know. But I do know that the hen I have that made the most fuss over making a nest when she first started laying is the one that is hardest to break of being broody. So maybe it is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by