Is this a sign of aggression????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dandydoodle, Sep 10, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    The one legged rooster dance. Is it a sign of aggression or does anyone know what it means????

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Its a mating dance. They do it when seducing the hen.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Depends on if they perform it towards you or to a hen. Towards you, expect some action. Towards a hen, expect a different kind of action.

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Oh okay, he is doing it towards my hens. He won't hurt them will he? He is a new roo and the hens are kind of tiny.

5. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    you wont like it much when he mounts them. it is a little distressing for me. I have a mean roo in one of my pens that tired a kung foo move on me. the second time he did it i kung foo'd him. He also bites my hubby, but has not bit me yet.

Donna in Branson and her mini flock of 62 chickens in 6 pens

7. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I don't keep mean roos. Life is to short for that.

8. h_palmer

h_palmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    Our rooster used to do that and run around in circles then prompty hop on top of one of the hens [​IMG]

9. HollysFlock

HollysFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm so happy to read this explanation! I kept trying to explain to my husband that one of our roosters kept shuffling back and forth with our younger pullets like a defensive football player or something. While he didn't mount them at that time (that I saw), his shuffle has become a bit more sophisticated both in appearance and outcome.

How interesting!

I do hate it when they mount the girls in front of me, but I've learned to stop running after them screaming trying to shoo them away. Seems that's more alarming to everyone than the act itself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by