1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a sign of broodiness????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm Frenzy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I hope it is. My husband went to feed for me this morning, and he said that one of my black rock girls was laying in the nest and I went later tonight and she was still there. AND she tries to peck you if you touch her?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Sure sounds like it!

3. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    YAY!!! It's about freakin time.[​IMG]

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Sounds like it to me, too! [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

5. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    My first broody EVER!!! It just so happens that I've been saving my silkie eggs and have about 10 so far. I'm hoping she's still on the nest tomorrow when I go out there...[​IMG]. We'll see though. I thought for sure my silkie would be the one to go first, but no luck with that. I'm just glad one possibly has.

6. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    LOL... Ya out of my 3 pullet silkie/showgirls two of them went broody at the same time. So now one is setting on 7 silkie/showgirl eggs and the other is on about 12 button quail eggs. We'll see how it goes. Good luck on your eggs and hopefully your momma will be a good one.

Chef

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi again!

You seem so happy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Unfortunately, I can't have a roo in my neighborhood so I never have any fertile eggs (unless someone gives them to me or I buy some) but I always seem to have some broodies. Out of 7 Silkies, two are broody right now and I have a "Sizzle" that's broody plus 2 broody bantam Cochins.

The "Sizzle" is so into it that she pulled out all of her chest feathers. Now I'm worried that she might be too cold and I don't even want to try to break her broodiness because I don't want her walking around too much with her chest exposed, I figure she's better off in the nest.

With 5 broodies, it seems such a shame that I don't have any eggs!

Well, at least I hope it rubs off on your girls. I'm sure your Silkie will also go broody sooner or later (to me, they seem like a sure thing), so you'll have another chance, for sure.

Again, good luck! [​IMG] Genie

8. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Ok, forgive me for being a "chicken virgin", but what exactly does broodiness mean?

and... how do the eggs get fertile?

9. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    A broody means that a hen is ready to sit on a nest and incubate eggs. It makes life a whole lot easier for me because I then can use the hen instead of an incubator....which I have 4 of by the way!![​IMG]

10. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Must be that time of year. I've got my first broodies too. One BO and one BA. Both have been on nests every night when I go collect and as soon as I open the nest lid, they growl and fluff. I'm making them a spot inside the barn so they are out of the coop nests. Guess I'll have to see if they stay broody after moving them. Fingers are crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by