Is this a sign the female duck is laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover9138, Jun 28, 2011.

1. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Hi. I have a female 18 week Mallard hen. Until last week, she would sleep in the cage. Now, she flies away with her mate after eating. They don't come back unless it is feeding time around 6 PM (The only time I see them). They have grown extremely adverse to entering their cage (was never an issue before) and prefers to sleep somewhere in the wild. The female also twist her neck down with her peak repeatedly as if she is building a nest. She does it even though there are no grass or bugs around. Does anyone have a similar experience before their ducks started laying eggs?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well it sounds to me that there being Mallards! They have the instinct to fly and to roost. If she is building a nest there is a good chance she will or already has started to lay.

3. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    They have probably discovered a nearby pond or lake that they prefer to hang out on over the pen.

4. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    We have a very large pond nearby. Should I leave them or force them to go back in the cage? I am afraid they are laying eggs and I would be leaving those eggs out cold. Is there a way to tell she is laying eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by