Is this a silkie and a ? (new pics on post 10)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yoie, Jul 28, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my order from Ideal today and have figured out most of my order but these two. I think the first one is a silkie but not a 100% sure. (Edited to add that they are both bantams [​IMG] )

It is white with gray stipes down its back. Has a beard, light grey skin, an indent were comb is and 5 toes on each foot.
    [​IMG]

This one is all black with white wing tips, white butt and a small white spot on head. Has black legs and a single comb.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Silkie and BSL roo?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    First one is a Faverolle, definitely not a silkie. Silkies have black skin, beaks, and legs/feet. The 2nd one might be a barred rock. [​IMG]

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    First is a sultan I think, and the second is maybe a black oegb.

5. yoie

I know I got one Sultan in my order, this is it
    [​IMG]

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Cute chick, looks like she has attitude already. I guess the other looks more like a favorelle than sultan, but favorelles have single combs I thought.

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Totally missed where you said it has an indent where the comb is. Could you look more closely? If it has 2 little flaps way at the top under the head feathers, then it is a sultan. If it has a very small single comb--faverolle. I got both this year from TSC, and both were pullets. [​IMG] My sultan had a big puff on its head like someone else posted at this age already, though. Yours doesn't look like it has that, which is why I assumed faverolle.

8. yoie

Quote:That is were it gets confusing, it doesn't have a single comb and it doesn't have the 2 flaps like the other sultan I got. It is more of a indented circle for a comb?

9. wdc1952

wdc1952 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Kearney, Missouri
    Generally a Silkie will have a small oval to round comb. The wider the comb it generally is a male bird and narrower comb is a female. Most Silkies, good ones, should have a vaulted skull.

As far as the other bird - ?. It does appear to be a cockeral.

10. yoie

Ok I got some head shots of the two that could be sultans or bad silkies?

1st chick (indented comb)
    [​IMG]

2nd chick (two little bumps/ridges)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by