Is this a silkie and a ? (new pics on post 10)

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
I got my order from Ideal today and have figured out most of my order but these two. I think the first one is a silkie but not a 100% sure. (Edited to add that they are both bantams
tongue.png
)

It is white with gray stipes down its back. Has a beard, light grey skin, an indent were comb is and 5 toes on each foot.
78308_dscn1899.jpg

This one is all black with white wing tips, white butt and a small white spot on head. Has black legs and a single comb.
78308_dscn1879.jpg

Last edited:
First one is a Faverolle, definitely not a silkie. Silkies have black skin, beaks, and legs/feet. The 2nd one might be a barred rock.
smile.png

Quote:
Cute chick, looks like she has attitude already. I guess the other looks more like a favorelle than sultan, but favorelles have single combs I thought.

Totally missed where you said it has an indent where the comb is. Could you look more closely? If it has 2 little flaps way at the top under the head feathers, then it is a sultan. If it has a very small single comb--faverolle. I got both this year from TSC, and both were pullets.
big_smile.png
My sultan had a big puff on its head like someone else posted at this age already, though. Yours doesn't look like it has that, which is why I assumed faverolle.

Quote:
That is were it gets confusing, it doesn't have a single comb and it doesn't have the 2 flaps like the other sultan I got. It is more of a indented circle for a comb?

Generally a Silkie will have a small oval to round comb. The wider the comb it generally is a male bird and narrower comb is a female. Most Silkies, good ones, should have a vaulted skull.

As far as the other bird - ?. It does appear to be a cockeral.

Back
Top Bottom