1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is This a Silkie Rooster? NEW PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4chickns, Sep 18, 2009.

1. 4chickns

4chickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    New Jersey
    OK, I'm new here, so bear with me. I have 5 month old silkies, and my white one, though I think he's a rooster, is not crowing like the others have been. He makes some quiet little noises, but that's it. He is also the most docile little bird, we could carry him around all day. Sweeter than most house cats. So is he just quiet or have I mistaken a hen for a rooster?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Looks like a hen to me, but close up pictures would help.

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    It is cute, but I also think hen.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Agreed, it's a pullet.

5. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Doesnt look anything like my 6 month old roo so

Girl!

6. dirtbowlchick

dirtbowlchick New Egg

Aug 1, 2009
    What a GORGEOUS little silky! Looks like a hen to me...
    I've had a silky hen and a rooster (who the breeder claimed was a hen at the sale). The silky 'roo' started getting boisterous and kind of "strutty" and then began crowing infrequently (sounded more like a stuck gate) at around 5 or 6 months.
    I've been a chicken nut for about 8 years, and certainly no expert, but in my experience my males seem a little more 'muscle-y;" no soft bosom, not plush and round-y–– just kind of lean, tough and fast little fireplugs. Harder to catch, and really strong when you hold them-- even the bantams. If yours is really docile and doesn't act like a schoolyard traffic cop, I'd think I had a pullet. Male plumage is a little different, too. Anyway, you'll know at around 8 or 9 months if you see that first little egg. Oh, one other tip-- silkies LOVE to sit on eggs. ANYONE'S eggs. If your silky begins that, you'll know you have a female. Give her an extra kiss from me!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Pretty pullet

8. 4chickns

4chickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thank you all for the information. I am going to put some more pictures up so you can get a better look. He looks different than our black pullet, so I wasn't sure. His (or her) wings are a bit longer and he (she) is a little taller (or just stands that way). Hopefully these pictures are a little better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Pullet

10. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009