Is this a Silkie?

Arztwolf

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
SW Texas
Got this little one at a feedstore this morning. He/She is a day old and was hatched at Ideal. They had him/her in the straight run Silkie bin and I didn't see any others that looked like him/her.

The pic sucks, but he/she wouldn't hold still.

*Is bantam sized.
*Has feathered BLACK feet.
*Does NOT have five toes.
*Has a single black dot on the top of the head.

The angle on the pic is really poor for identifying it, but it's not a Silkie with only 4 toes. Also, I don't see the little crest that Silkie chicks have.

For some reason it is super hard to get a good pic of this chick! He is so small (a little bigger than a Mcdonald's nugged) that to get a good shot of him you have to zoom in, but then it comes out blurry. He also keeps moving and I couldn't find good enough light to get his markings to stand out.

For some reason it is super hard to get a good pic of this chick! He is so small (a little bigger than a Mcdonald's nugged) that to get a good shot of him you have to zoom in, but then it comes out blurry. He also keeps moving and I couldn't find good enough light to get his markings to stand out.

Better photos, and I do see a little crest on the chick in these, but without the 5 toes it's not a Silkie.

Do any crested breeds have feathered legs? They also had a Crested Assortment bin.

Sultans have feathered legs, but they also have 5 toes and your chick does not really look like the Sultan chicks I've seen either. I'm thinking your chick is likely primarily Silkie but with something else in its ancestry as well.

Back
Top Bottom