1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Corey NC, May 14, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I got this as one of my swap eggs and I thought it was a silkie but I realized today that it has a single comb and the feathers seem to be coming in normal. Do you think it is just really really poor quality (it's supposedly to be pure) or is there another breed with a beard, top knot, black skin, fuzzy feet and five toes?

[​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm totally guessing but it doesn't look like either of my two silkie chicks. It does look just like my Buff Orpington chick however.

3. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Its defenatly not an orp (I breed them) as it does have most characteristics of a silkie.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    for a sec I thought you were talking about the hen I was like whaaaat?! [​IMG]

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    You're talking about the chick...correct?? Most likely a Silkie X if it's getting single comb and hard feathers. My roo (in my avatar) is a Silkie X and he almost all the Silkie traits, except of course his feather type.

6. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Yes the chick not the hen sorry about the confusion. [​IMG]

That is irratating....it better be a pullet.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Do you have a full body shot of the chick? A pic of the wing feathers would also be helpful. Single combs can be common in some lines of silkies. It could also be a silkie cross.

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks just like my silkie. (except the feather part). If it has blaack skin its a silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by