Is this a silky or did someone sneak a egg into our silky house??

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
We had a Silky hen who started being broody. We have our silkies in a different pen from the others so we just let her accumulate eggs till she had 6 then 1 week before they where to hatch we moved her to a broody pen. We always take the chicks when they hatch and brood them ourselves.
Last Monday I checked and found 3 chicks. 2 white and one ? Partridge? Guessing.I know they are all silkies they have blue beaks, blue legs 5 toes etc. The next day two more white silkies. Then on Friday the last egg hatched. (100% hatch by the way!!! YAHH!!!!
big_smile.png
) A beautiful chick 5 toes feathered legs a little creast, but he has orange legs and beak. As you can see I don't know what color he is either.

So tell me what color are the two "Not White" silkies??and is the littlest one even a silkie?? He is smaller because he is almost a week younger then the others.

We have 4 white hens, 1 partridge hen, 1 black hen and two roosters 1 white and 1 Red.
Sorry For the Novel!!!
Chicks5-13.jpg

Chicks5-13ontoy.jpg

by the way not the black one thats a BR/EE cross and the Big white one is a large breed cross.

i could be TOTALLY wrong (it happens all the time as a matter of fact!) but i think the little chick you are asking about might indeed be a silkie of the "partridge" coloration.
i agree that the second pic is beyond adorable. now i want to run out and get a playset for future chicks
tongue.png

I am not sure which chicks, specifically, you are asking about. The black one with the white spot on the head is going to be barred. The other two brown ones I am not sure about. My partridge silkies and showgirls do not have the stripes when they hatch. That indicates a specific genotype that escapes me at the moment. Are your birds full-blood silkie? You mention blue beaks, blue legs and 5 toes but they should also have black skin. Could any other rooster have gotten into to their pen or had access to them for a month or so before seperating them?

Richard

Here is a pic of some white, buff and partridge showgirls:

SG3.jpg

And here is a partridge by itself:

SGDomed2.jpg

Also, I am not seeing much of a crest on the chicks. Perhaps it is the photo but it could indicate crossing somewhere in the background of the birds.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom