Is this a silky or did someone sneak a egg into our silky house??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bossynbella, May 21, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We had a Silky hen who started being broody. We have our silkies in a different pen from the others so we just let her accumulate eggs till she had 6 then 1 week before they where to hatch we moved her to a broody pen. We always take the chicks when they hatch and brood them ourselves.
    Last Monday I checked and found 3 chicks. 2 white and one ? Partridge? Guessing.I know they are all silkies they have blue beaks, blue legs 5 toes etc. The next day two more white silkies. Then on Friday the last egg hatched. (100% hatch by the way!!! YAHH!!!![​IMG]) A beautiful chick 5 toes feathered legs a little creast, but he has orange legs and beak. As you can see I don't know what color he is either.

So tell me what color are the two "Not White" silkies??and is the littlest one even a silkie?? He is smaller because he is almost a week younger then the others.

We have 4 white hens, 1 partridge hen, 1 black hen and two roosters 1 white and 1 Red.
    Sorry For the Novel!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    by the way not the black one thats a BR/EE cross and the Big white one is a large breed cross.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have no clue about the potential impostor but I love the second picture!

3. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i could be TOTALLY wrong (it happens all the time as a matter of fact!) but i think the little chick you are asking about might indeed be a silkie of the "partridge" coloration.
    i agree that the second pic is beyond adorable. now i want to run out and get a playset for future chicks [​IMG]

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I am not sure which chicks, specifically, you are asking about. The black one with the white spot on the head is going to be barred. The other two brown ones I am not sure about. My partridge silkies and showgirls do not have the stripes when they hatch. That indicates a specific genotype that escapes me at the moment. Are your birds full-blood silkie? You mention blue beaks, blue legs and 5 toes but they should also have black skin. Could any other rooster have gotten into to their pen or had access to them for a month or so before seperating them?

Richard

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Here is a pic of some white, buff and partridge showgirls:

[​IMG]

And here is a partridge by itself:

[​IMG]

Also, I am not seeing much of a crest on the chicks. Perhaps it is the photo but it could indicate crossing somewhere in the background of the birds.

Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by