Is this a Silver Sebright (bantam) really?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gryeyes, Apr 29, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I brought two of these home with me today from the feed store. I picked the two oldest in the bin (that way I know they will make it past the "failure to thrive" shock of shipping). They're straight run, and I'm hoping they're pullets - guessing from the tail feathers, which look girly to me.

They look exactly alike.

I know you can't SEE those tail feathers in this photo, but I'm hoping somebody can confirm the breed for me.
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, that's a Sebright. [​IMG] Gender will be tricky to tell for the next few weeks though.
  3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It looks like a Sebright to me. It could be a girl or a boy though since Sebrights are hen feathered. [​IMG]
  4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Yep, that is a Sebright.
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like a sebright to me.

They had one at my feed store on Monday and I was sooo tempted, but I resisted the urge. (I don't have any bantams either and I'm afraid they'd be hawk bait)
  6. gryeyes

Quote:Hen feathered. Oh great. Just my luck, something that I was beginning to feel I was good at: checking the tail feather growth.

But I've wanted a Sebright forever - what luck to find 'em in bantam size! Two of 'em equal the one I might have ordered online someday. [​IMG] Of course I would have had to order OTHERS with that, so I'm gonna call this a SCORE anyway.

Thanks, everybody!
  7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    You should be able to tell at about 4-6 weeks by looking at the comb. My boy sebrights had larger and pinker combs by that time when compared to the girls.
  8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:Sebrights only come in bantam size. [​IMG]
  9. gryeyes

Ooookay. Isn't that just precious! I better high tail it back to the "Breeds" page to read up more on Sebrights!

I absolutely love BYC - I've learned so much (practically everything) from the information and its members here!
  10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    um... your right about the breed, but sebright roosters are hen feathered and only come in bantam sizes. (hen feathering is when the roosters have no sickle and saddle feathers and thier hackles are short and blunt like a hens.) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by