is this a small cold or something more seriouse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Sep 28, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    some of my chickens like my americana rooster and few diff hens been sneezing and has a slight runny nose they act like their r healthy and eat/drink normal and r still laying eggs at same rate so is this just a lil cold and if so what should i do to treate it or is it something that might be more seriouse been doing this for about 2 weeks now just moved them into their new coop where they have more air and room to move cuz we just moved to a new house and had to keep them in a smaller area my silkies have been sick with what i believe to have been Chronic Respiratory Diseas but i have them separate from the others so anyways what to do [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    There are a few things you can try for sneezing and runny nose: I'll give you several ideas

Some people use Vet Rx. You can give them a few drops into their throats, even put a dab under each wing.

There's also a product called Denegard that works well. Goes into the drinking water and it's very bitter so make sure you put some sugar in the water.

Tylan is the very best thing, in my opinion. Very strong antibiotic that you put into their drinking water. Really works well.

Good luck to you!

3. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i have tylan been giving to my young silkie hens cuz they r not laying yet but the others r so i was just wondering if i put tylan 50 in their water how long could we not eat the eggs and can i atleast still hatch them? how much should i put in a gallon and for how long?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by