Is this a splash?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nicole01, May 1, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I picked up this 3 week old cute frizzle Cochin this morning. I was wondering what color. They had no clue at the store, but he/she is straight run. Thanks. [​IMG]. Hopefully, I picked a female. I picked the one with the most feathers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    she is pretty and yes splash...

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you. This one was the only one that looked like this.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, dont know what color that is, but that is not splash. These are splash, first a splash Rock, then a Splash Orpington:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    it is a splash. Speckledhen your birds are diffrent breeds from Nichole01's, AND splash colors can change slightly based on breed, age, gender, and weather or not it has any recisive jeans to another color or pattern.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry, but splash is only from the blue gene and I disagree with you. Splash isn't a look, it's two copies of the blue gene. That bird looks nothing like it came from a blue mating of any kind. If it did, it still cannot be called splash because that just is not splash.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Its looks to be a laced type-silver laced? I would say deffinaitely not a splash of any type... no blue..

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Definitely not splash. I would guess mottled or poorly laced. [​IMG] It will be pretty, whatever you call the color!

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Looks more liked a poorly laced, possibly silver laced. And nopers it is not Splash, sorry, though she/he will have some pretty colors once mature! [​IMG]

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I beg to differ with ChickMommy, but I raised Cochins(both LF and Bantam) and showed them and I have a good friend that has raised Cochins for years. That is not a Splash. It might be, as Sonew said, silver laced, or it might be a mixed color.
    I have a Darker Splash Orpington and she was and is WAY lighter than that chick.
    You have to have Blue to get Splash, which is why most people have BBS (Blue, Black, Splash).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by