1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Standard Cochin and what color is she considered?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ILuvMyPetChickens, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    Is she standard and what's the name of her color?
    [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If she is about the size of a Buff Orp hen, then I would say she is a standard Cochin. I'm not really sure on color, my guess is partridge. she's a beauty.

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    She has got to be the first "brown" Cochin I've ever seen. She doesn't have the lacing for a partridge but when I compare her to the standard for "brown" she seems to fit. Hackles-golden orange with black stripe, back-dark brown, densely stippled with black, Main tail - black, coverts - same as back, wing bows/fronts/coverts - same as back, primaries - dull black, secondaries - same as back, body-same as back, fluff-dull black tinged with brown, leg feathering - same as back. Simply gorgeous. Now I want some. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    Thanks I think she weighs like 2 pounds she is so heavy! I love her eyes. I just wish I knew what color she is considered.

5. RhapsodyRanches

RhapsodyRanches Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    She looks to be a standard, partridge hen!! Beautiful bird <3

6. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    looks like a partridge hen [​IMG]

7. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Like I said in my previous post, based on what I read in the APA Standard of Perfection, her I believe her color variety is "brown". She doesn't have the proper lacing for a partridge. I still think she is gorgeous.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    If she only weighs 2 pounds, then she's probably a heavy bantam. Large Fowl Cochin Pullets should weigh 7 lbs; hens should weigh 8 lbs. Bantam pullets should weigh 24 oz; hens should weigh 26 oz. How old is she?

There aren't any Brown Bantams; and only a handful of breeders are working toward re-populating Brown Large Fowl, which nearly became non-existent.

But there are Brown Red Bantam Cochins.

9. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:Thank you for chiming in. I figured the color was pretty rare. Is she similar to what a brown is supposed to look like? I didn't even look in the SOP at the bantams. I only looked under large fowl. I found it interesting that the 2001 SOP showed a picture of a brown Cochin bantam but it wasn't listed as an accepted variety and there was no variety description.

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She looks just like my hatchery Partridge Cochins [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by