Is this a stuffed crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by skott, Jun 20, 2010.

1. skott

skott New Egg

May 12, 2010
    So this chick will be 1 week hatched tomorrow. This MASSIVE lump appeared just yesterday. It is in the neck region, but off to one side. She is eating and drinking, though she seems like she may be a little more lethargic than the other chicks. She is a bit smaller than the other chicks as well.

ANY thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The crop is on the right side, at the place where the neck and breast meet. Is the pix somehow reversed?

Imp

3. skott

skott New Egg

May 12, 2010
    No, it's not reversed... lump is on the left side of the neck.

4. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I lost one to this yesterday. She was hatched on Monday. I can't tell from the pic what it is. Best of luck!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    I have a chick whose crop is on the left of his body. He's just backwards, I guess. He has other issues, neck cocked to the side, sometimes only using one eye. He was probably not formed all the way during incubation. He's 8 weeks now and has an enlarged/impacted and sour crop. I am wondering if maybe due to his body deformities he has a harder time digesting.

As for your chick...

It looks like an enlarged crop to me. Separate it and withhold food overnight. If it goes down in size overnight, it's fine. If not it may be a impaction. Search for crop impaction on the site for great information about remedies. Good luck!

7. skott

skott New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Unfortunately, the lump feels hard, so it doesn't seem like a breast blister. I took a couple more pictures, but they just don't get the point across very well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. skott

skott New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Well, she's seperated for the night, in darkness, no food. We'll see if there's any difference in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by