Is this a stupid decision??? - leaving eggs in turner -

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GracefulBantams, Mar 2, 2008.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have a Hova-Bator incubator with turbo fan and turner that I am using as the main Incubator, then I have a homemade styrofoam-box-with-light bulb one that I am using as the hatcher. Well the homemade one is doing a pretty awful job of keeping the temperature right (including a spike to 120*F [​IMG] ), so I decided to try just leaving all the eggs in the Hova-bator and in the turner.
    I am doing a staggered hatch, so I only have the first 7 eggs in the hatcher right now, but I am afraid that I have already lost them b/c of the temperature trouble [​IMG]
    So, if I leave them in the Hova-bator they are going to have to be continually turning in the turner. I have heard of hatches like this that worked, but... IDK...

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When is your hatch due?

Can you rewire the homemade bator using 2 smaller watt bulbs?

What thermostat are you using?

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Can you take a couple of the turners out? I know mine are removable. Then make a card board barrier or wall to keep the chicks that hatch on one side of the bator?

4. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:These first 7 eggs should hatch tomorrow (if I haven't already killed them!!)
    But, it is all different dates after that :eek:

Quote:Ummm... possibly.

Quote:I am using some kind of dimmer switch, if that is what you mean.

Quote:At first I thought "I only have one turner [​IMG]" Then I realized you are probably talking about taking a couple of rows out of it [​IMG] Humm... if they would come out, that might just be about the greatest idea ever [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    When the hatch is over think about wiring in a thermostat to control the heat to make it consistant, it will work much better than a dimmer switch.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree with rooster-red. You might also consider using a wafer thermostat as opposed to the hot water heater one if you want more control over it. GQF , the makers of hovabator, have the complete thermostat assembly on their website for around $15.

7. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Okay, thanks, you two. That would be a better setup, I am sure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by