Is this a suitable coup site?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by formal, Feb 28, 2009.

1. formal

formal New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    Hi Chicken lovers,

We want to build a chicken coup in our backgarden. The available site is under a big old mulberry tree. We've read that chooks like dappled light, plenty of space, leaf litter and even mulberrys so it sounds like a good site.

The trouble is the tree overhangs the boundary fence and we don't know if the chooks will climb the tree and escape the coup into the next door garden. I'm trying to attach a picture of the site, I hope it works.

[​IMG]

We would appreciate any advice please.

Lynn and Mal Christison

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It looks like a really good spot. I wouldn't have the tree in their run if that's what your asking. As far as them going in the tree and flying into the neighbor's yard, well it's a possibility. It depends on the type of chicken. You may want to stick with heavier breeds. I have 4 foot fencing around my yard and my chickens haven't even tried to get over it, I know they could, but I guess there's no reason.

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Look great to me but i agree that i would leave the tree out of the run. Are you going to have something over the run? Might be worth considering it to keep predators out. Good Luck and welcome to BYC. O Yea... keep the pics of progress posted.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Very nice spot. If you let them range they will be in the tree and over the fence. I agree with the other post I wouldn't put the tree in the run. I had some apple trees in mine and they got up and over. I eventually put a net over their fenced in range area and covered the run.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yeah, I'd park my coup there.

Not a bad spot for a chicken coop either!

.[​IMG]

6. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

nice spot!, i t looks identical to teh spot i used, and it has worked great

7. formal

formal New Egg

Feb 28, 2009
    To the wonderful people that have offered advice, thank you so much.

We will fence around the tree and exclude it from the coop. Spelt right this time.

We will post photos.

We aren't sure what predators we need to keep out with a roof. We live inner city and there are no foxes. There are plenty of cats but we read that cats don't trouble chooks. Is that right?

Lynn and Mal

8. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Definitely!!!!

9. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Offer some eggs to the neighbor before your chicken finds his backyard....great location, welcome
    HappyHatch'en

10. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    It's a beautiful spot! If the hens get into the neighbors garden, they will eat as much as they can. This may really make the neighbor mad. I agree, offer the neighbor some eggs and introduce them. As for predators, even in the city there are lots of hawks. I see them all the time. Keep your hens safe and cover the pen.
    sandyj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by