Is this a Tapeworm and how do I treat my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by [email protected], Nov 14, 2011.

1. jgeci@nc.rr.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    [​IMG]

I am trying to upload a picture to be sure Tapeworms are what I am dealing with. Hope this works. Anyway, how to I treat Tapeworms? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    [email protected] :

2011-11-14_08-36-14_54.jpg

I am trying to upload a picture to be sure Tapeworms are what I am dealing with. Hope this works. Anyway, how to I treat Tapeworms? Thanks for any advice.

I recommend that you purchase valbazen. It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer administered orally with a syringe without a needle. You can see if your feed store carries it. If not, you can purchase it from Jefferslivestock.com or call them.
    Dosage is orally, 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller birds. Valbazen kills all types of worms that chickens can get. Tapeworms are tough to get rid of, so you'll need to redose your birds at least 2 more times at 10 day intervals. Toss eggs in the garbage during worming and 14 days after the last dosing.
    Edited to add: Glad you got a pic. Yes, that's a tapeworm.​

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  3. jgeci@nc.rr.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Thank you so much. You are a real benefit to all of us who love our chickens. Thank you - Thank you - Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by