Is this a tumor or some type of disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SCchickens2011, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SCchickens2011

SCchickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This is "Tiny" so called for her tiny comb.
    I can't seem to upload any of my other pics, but if you look under her beak, where the waddle should be, she has this lump, I am not sure what this is, if it is a disease or not. I can't pick her up, she is too skittish and I can't catch her, I just noticed this today, my 16 yo daughter usually feeds them and checks for eggs in the afternoons, she hadn't said anything about it, but then I don't necessarily think she pays too much attention to her because she is so flighty. Not easy to notice things out of the norm. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. SCchickens2011

May 20, 2011
    [​IMG]heres another angle, her waddle appears to be pushed aside by this "thing", as I said I cannot pick her up "yet" so I don't know if it is soft or hard, will try again tomorrow to grab her so I can feel it.

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    It could be a tumor, it's possible she has mites that are boring under her beak. Try treating her for mites. Also put mineral oil over that area to smother them.

4. SCchickens2011

May 20, 2011
    i picked her up today, it's hard, i did not notice any mites on her but i will double check tomorrow again.

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I'm hoping your not dealing with Marek's disease. Tumours is one symptom. I'm not sure.

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  7. SCchickens2011

May 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight: White Leghorn, 7 mos, normal weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly: There's a lump between her waddles, firm, no sign of anything inside the mouth, no odor in mouth to indicate infection, nothing open on lump, about the size of a small marble right now
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 5-7 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: No clue
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. 18% all flock pellets, and for treats chicken scratch and black oil sunflower seeds, and water. no loss of appetite that i see
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.: Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far: nothing, just observing and trying to figure out what it is and what to do
    10) What is your intent as far as treatment? Treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: pine shavings

8. SCchickens2011

May 20, 2011

9. SCchickens2011

May 20, 2011
    [​IMG]
    here's a close up

10. SCchickens2011

May 20, 2011
    ok so i watched her today when i was collecting eggs, she only ate a few pellets in the 20 minutes i stood out there, she drank LOTS of water, and i picked her up and she is definately lighter than usual, and her lower beak seems dirty or darkened.

the lump is definately solid, and there is no evidence of a lesion in her mouth or anywhere else.

i hope someone else can take a look at these pics before tomorrow because i have decided to cull her if i get no further replies.

i cannot tell if she is laying as i have not seperated her from the others, i do not think she is since she does not appear to be eating much and has lost weight.

none of the other hens are developing any symptoms of anything, i check all of them daily and have no signs of lumps on them anywhere.

i do not feel she is going to get better, i have no idea what is wrong, but i fell that her best bet is to end her misery, if she is experiencing any.

i cannot cull my birds but my neighbor's DH is pretty seasoned at it and will do it for me.

So any last takers on what could be going on with her? i would appreciate any more ideas before tomorrow.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by