Is this A Unabsorbed Yolk Sac or something worse? Picture

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wjeffgriggs, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    [​IMG]Sorry for the double post.

this guy was hatched at 7:30AM this morning. Dont know if this is a unabsorbed yolk sack or something more serious. Little guy seems to be fine other wise. I should add that it pipped at 5AM and was hatched by 7:30AM which seems really fast but that is just my thought. True day 21 would have been at 12PM today.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Is that coming from his bum or from his belly button? I would recommend you just let him rest in the incubator over night, and I'll bet that will be absorbed.

3. Wjeffgriggs

Aug 29, 2011
    Quote:

belly button I think...That is under the bum hole right?

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, that's right! So if you can leave that chick in the incubator over night, it'll be fine tomorrow!

5. Wjeffgriggs

Aug 29, 2011
    I had it in a little tupperware thing in the incubator so it would not drag it on the metal mesh in the LG. 15 minutes latter it leaked yellow slimy stuff out that looked just like yolk. the little guy started drinking it so I took it out to get some water and it started to drink water like crazy. Must have been very thirsty. it is hanging out in the brooder with its sibling that was also born today and seems to be doing very well. scratching eating and drinking.

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sounds like you did exactly the right thing.

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Give us an update later to let us know how the little guy is doing. Good luck! Sounds like you handled it well.

8. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
  9. Wjeffgriggs

Aug 29, 2011
    so far the chick has been fine. the yolk sac has not gone away yet but it is much much smaller and has turned black and hard. I think the chick will be fine but it might be to early to know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by