Is this a valid technique?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by target022, Dec 24, 2009.

1. target022

target022 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Vallejo, CA
    This is a video on Youtube for sexing chicks by looking at their wing feathers.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It works better with some breeds than others but yes, it can work.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep, only works when you have bred a fast feathering bird to a slow feathering one. You can read more about it here.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    To acurately use that method, it has to be bred for, there are some comercial crosses that work that way, But it is NOT valid with all breeds, when I ordered sexed Buff Orps and SLWs, the females grew longer wing and tail feathers and the males were shorter, there may have been a couple excepts but for the most part, that's how it worked, However when I hatched my Speckleds Sussex, BC Marans, and RIRs, some grew feathers more rapidly than others but there was no correaltion between the sexes of the chicks, so it is not a valid method for all chicks.

I saw the video mentioned Barred Rocks, the easiest way to sex barred rock chicks is by there color, it take some eye training, but is very accurate for the most part,

These are dayold Barred Rock pullets
    [​IMG]

These are dayold roos.
    [​IMG]

5. target022

target022 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Vallejo, CA
    That's good to know. I'm expecting white leghorns and I heard the females are fast feathering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by