Is this a version of fart eggs?

csteeps

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
North Lincolnshire, UK
Hi all.
I've only had my 10 young birds for 7 weeks but it's taken this long for them to start laying. They are 24-27 weeks old.
I had 2 small eggs the first couple of days, then yesterday had 2 small fart eggs without the shells. What I'm wondering about is all the water I keep finding. Are the youngsters expelling just egg white, no yolk or membrane? They appear very healthy but one basically "exploded" with water in the run whilst I was watching her yesterday. She's eating well. A mix of layers pellets and fresh veggie scraps along with corn scratch and mealworms as treats (and to encourage laying with the extra protein as recommended by another keeper)

layers need more calcium( oyster shells) is one good source, most layer feed is about 16% protein. If you have access to live crickets( from a pet shop) they would love to snack on them, more protein. Sunflower seed hearts is another good source for protein. If you have a choice, go with the crickets.

Last edited:
It's fairly typical for new layers to lay weird eggs sometimes. What you're describing sounds like thin-shelled or no-shell no-yolk eggs. Are you offering oyster shells in addition to the layer feed? Offering oyster shells free choice (not mixed in with their layer pellets) will allow your pullets to get extra calcium if they need it. These issues should resolve themselves as your pullets mature as long as they are getting enough calcium and protein.

2 small fart eggs without the shells.
Fart eggs have shells.

They appear very healthy but one basically "exploded" with water in the run whilst I was watching her yesterday.
Water or egg whites?

A mix of layers pellets and fresh veggie scraps along with corn scratch and mealworms as treats (and to encourage laying with the extra protein as recommended by another keeper)
Cut out the scraps and scratch.
..and yes, add a separate dish of Oyster Shells.

Back
Top Bottom