Is this a weird time to be molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GGchick, Jul 18, 2011.

1. GGchick

GGchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi, one of my 15-month-old Partridge Rocks is starting a hard molt. I'm in Kentucky and it's been very hot, so this seems like an odd time. She had a little juvenile molt last fall, never a hard molt. She became very broody about a week ago, so I put her in a crate and separated her for 1 1/2 days. Could this have stressed her and brought on a molt? Should I be worried she has something abnormal going on? She hasn't laid an egg (I don't think) since her broodiness started. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here are a couple of links on molting that I like. You might see something in them that helps you.

Mississippi State describes molting
    http://msucares.com/poultry/management/poultry_feathers.html

Kansas State feather loss
    http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

It is possible that caused the molt. Stress can start one and a broody in a broody buster is certainly under stress.

I had a broody that raised chicks fairly late in the summer/early fall last year. I can't remember the exact months. She stayed with the chicks until they were about 9 weeks old and molted while raising them. She was over her molt and back to laying before my others molted.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

3. GGchick

Apr 12, 2010
    That's helpful, thank you! Although I'm a little worried now because my girl isn't molting in the "order" those articles say she should. She's sort of losing them all over!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd also check her for mites and lice. That can cause a problem.

5. GGchick

Apr 12, 2010
    I did. I didn't see any evidence, but dusted all the girls with DE to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by