1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a welsummer?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by malia, Jul 6, 2008.

1. malia

malia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    GA
    I had bought 12 eggs off ebay, dark egg layer mix. Well the post office mangled the eggs but I still managed to hatch 1 cuckoo maran roo and this girl. They were either welsummer, barnevlder, or maran. She just seems light in color. Wanted to know your opinions. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

She's a little lighter in color than my welsummers, but other than that she looks like them.

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Here legs are the wrong color for a welsummer. She has the leg color of a maran, but her body isn't shapped like a maran...hmmmm

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not a Welsummer. Maybe a Silver Phoenix cross? Looks similar and the body shape is more like Phoenix than Welsummer.

5. malia

malia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    GA
    Hmm...she does resemble a silver pheonix, but she hatched out of a welsummer egg. Oh well, she is my DHs favorite and I think she is quite adorable as well. Thank you all.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Interesting! Well, if she's a Wellie cross, she's a pretty one. She just doesnt have the body type or exact coloration of my Welsummer girls.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Our Wellsummer (hatchery stock, FWIW) has bright yellow legs and is much darker than that pullet. She's very pretty though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by