Is this a Wheaten Ameraucana Rooster?

sshrader

Chirping
Sep 15, 2016
Arkansas
Hello! I am wanting to get a Rooster and a lady showed me this guy, just curious about him, does anyone know if it is considered a Wheaten Ameraucana.
Sorry just 1 picture at the moment.

Last edited:
Thanks. I need to do some reading up on how genetics work. Would like to eventually hatch some eggs out of him & my Production Reds or Black Sex Links. Not sure where to even begin.

Thanks. I need to do some reading up on how genetics work. Would like to eventually hatch some eggs out of him & my Production Reds or Black Sex Links. Not sure where to even begin.

So, you need to figure out what your breeding goals are... Production Reds are a line of RIRs that are bred to enhance egg laying... some claim as high as 300 eggs/hen/year... Black Sex Links are a crossbreed of high output egg-layers with the main emphasis of being able to determine the sex of chicks at birth (usually a hatchery concern). Both Production Reds and Black Sex Links will lay brown eggs.

The rooster you want to buy appears to be a Easter Egger. This rooster will possibly provide you the genetics for a blue-ish egg in subsequent generations... When mixed with brown egg laying hens, this becomes a green egg.

So, what are your goals? If you just want more hens to lay more eggs, then any rooster will do. If you want your offspring to be prolific layers ( and you haven't said that.. maybe you want dual purpose birds) then an EE rooster is an okay choice. If you want the offspring to lay a certain color of eggs, that's another consideration.

Nothing in particular at this moment, just good egg layers and friendly chickens, since the Fiance loves to go out and pick them up and love on them. Thanks for the feed back, I have a lot to learn about chickens.

Here is a better picture of him. Just picked him up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom