Is this a white Rock?

fifenashia

Songster
May 15, 2011
Eastern Kentucky
91900_hobo.jpg

My neighbor's flock has died off leaving a lone survivor, I agreed to take her own and after a quarantine period I will hopefully integrate her with my existing flock. They said she was a "Buff Orpington" but even a chicken dummy like me knows this is not a "Buff". So what the heck is she? They said she is a great layer and she was a wonderful momma this summer when she hatched out her first brood. She is solid white with brown speckles on her back, yellow feet and legs but I haven't checked her skin color. She is very lightweight and her feathers (although they are in molt) are incredibly soft to the touch. I can feel her breast bone when I hold her which I hope will end once I fatten her up.

It's not the best picture, I tried to get a good one, I'll keep trying. But I had hoped to get an idea of what she might be at least.

Thanks!

If she lays a brown egg or light brown, she could be a white rock.

If she lays a white egg, she could be a Leghorn or a Leghorn cross, like my Ideal 236 who is white with a sprinkling of black feathers.

If her earlobes are white, then probably not a White Rock, if her earlobes are Red, then maybe.

If she is in the leghorn family, then she most likely won't fatten up, because these birds tend to be lithe.

Last edited:
In the pic it looks like she's got red earlobes, and appears to be a white rock. Red earlobes = rock, white earlobes = leghorn.

Are the "speckles" actually speckles, or is it dirt? My delaware girl, at one point, looked more brown than white!

She looks way too solid to be a leghorn, I'd guess rock. Maybe better pics eventually? If she really had black speckles, then not purebred, maybe a delaware mix? Anyway, great deal on the free chicken!

Thank you so much! I am grateful for the tips on how to tell.

A friend of mine came over and verified that she is a white rock. Today makes one week Quarantine!

My vote would be white rock or delaware, maybe a delaware/white rock cross? Definitely not a white leghorn, I raised them for years in 4H and she looks way too thick to be a leghorn, they are lean birds.

Last edited:
Great suggestion! I am unfamiliar with the proper supplies for treatment of worms/parasites/mites/lice ect... So far (knock on wood) I havent needed any.

Suggestions on what kind of wormer/ How much/How often? I have access to a Tractor Supply, Southern States, Walmart and my vet is comfortable with my birds (he treated my duck for a dog bite last year).

My parents neighbor has a 55 gal drum cut off at the bottom ring with walnuts and water in it, I can't remember what he said he uses it for but he did say it keeps his birds wormed, and all his birds are healthy. I guess the walnut oil worms them?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2525157#p2525157

GREAT
THREAD FOR WORMING!

I have learned so much tonight just by reading through this! I plan on starting them ALL on Wazine in 3 weeks followed by Pour on Ivermectin (for cattle) 2 weeks after that. This should do them all until Spring when I can do the Ivermectin again.

Now to figure out how to "dust" them with DE and where to get DE....and WHY we dust with DE....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom