1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a wild rat? (Warning pic of dead rat)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by workindog, Apr 29, 2017.

1. workindog

workindog Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    Been dealing with rats that have made their home by our dumpster. Finally caught one last night but, it looks like a pet rat to me. Or possibly a hybrid? Has anyone seen a wild rat with this much white?

I know ive seen solid brown ones. Never seen this one running around. I feel kind of bad if it was a pet but they carry ticks and my kids and pets are what I worry about [​IMG]

2. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    Pet rats escape/get abandoned, become part of wild populations, and there are 'sports' where a gene mutates. There's a load of black wild rabbits where we live, either from a released pet rabbit or a genetic mutation, who knows.

If it's digging in your dumpster, anyway, it's probably not a pet.

1 person likes this.
  3. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    I've been having problems with rats as well. Ours are really small though, and grayish. Ours have white on their underside too. Not sure how to get rid of them now. Definitely recommend killing them off before the population expands.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by