1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GoPups, May 24, 2007.

1. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    We went to the feed store today for food and came back with food and two more chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

They were sold to us as Golden Wyandottes, but they have single combs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are they really Wyandottes?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure look like 4 week old RIR's to me

3. chknman79

chknman79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Crossville,TN
    Quote:My thougts exactly. Looks like mine when they were that age.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, that's a Rhode Island Red for sure. Great breed, but no Wyandotte.

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I don't know about your chicks, but one of my Silver Laced Wyandotte hens has a prominent single comb. She is otherwise utterly identical to the other SLW hen who has a rose comb, so it is quite handy to tell them apart. I read somewhere that sometimes the single comb just shows up in a breeding line, but I bet mine is just not purebred because I got her from a feed store. Oh well, she is cute, fluffy, and delightfully plump. Her single comb started to show at about 2 weeks old.

I don't really need anything else from her besides eggs (soon... soon...) so I've just chalked it up to her being unique. This is her. Nice (petite) single comb!

oh my god look at the dandelions in my neighbor's yard. totally insane.

[​IMG]

-MTchick

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  6. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    The rose comb is dominant, therefore any rose combed bird could carry the single comb gene and not show it.
    Put 2 together that have the recessive single comb gene and 25% will show the single comb.
    Since most of these would be culled by serious breeders, the likelyhood of getting 2 with the recessive gene is small to begin with, but it can happen.
    Of coarse I have no clue what breed that is, im just a noob, but if you have a barred rock dominique or cookoo maran, i'm getting pretty good at identifieing those [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I too have a Silver Laced Wyandotte with a single comb and a large one that flops over, too! I love her and that is correct, sometimes that single pops up in a rose combed breed, but the chick in the picture does not look anything like a Gold Laced Wyandotte to me. I could be wrong-it's happened before, LOL, but that looks like the spitting image of a RIR chick. If it was a Wyandotte of the gold or silver laced variety, it would have alot of black on it.
    Here is a picture of a RIR pullet at about six weeks old-see the resemblance?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  8. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Not that I am an expert but she looks just like my RIR 6 week old rooster, except my rooster has the super red comb of course.

But the RIR are great layers so you can't go wrong.

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I agree with everyone!

Looks like a RIR to me too.

Jean

10. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    What if they are New Hampshire reds? What's the difference between those and RIR's?

I'm perfectly fine with whatever breed they turn out to be. They're cool little chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by