Is this all new chicks need food wise?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stone_family3, Aug 7, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
  2. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Do I really need all this stuff for chicks?

3. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, most of the stuff is pretty standard for my guys...I don't buy gro gel, but its been used with some of my chicks and some of my older chicken shipments. Good stuff.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I don't know what Vitapak or Grogel is, and the only thing I feed my chicks for at least the first month is non-medicated starter crumbs. I also give them a vitamin and mineral supplement in their water. Your chicks will eat pretty much whatever you give them, but some of that stuff might not strictly be necessary for them to grow and stay healthy. If you wanted to save some money, you might be cheaper just buying a 50lb sack of chick starter locally. And yes, they WILL eat it all...

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I know it said would feed 25 chicks for the first month, but I will only have 3 chicks so it should last tons longer. I'm going by a feed store today and I'll check what they have.

6. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have new chicks too. I bought a huge bag of Chick Starter and a huge bag of Grit. I mix them. Did I do the right thing?

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You'll need chick grit if you'll be feeding them treats but they don't need it while they're only eating chick feed. I never used any vitamin supplements or Gro-gel but my chicks weren't shipped in the heat of summer, either. You may want to have an emergency treatment on the ready. And yes, you'll be surprised at how fast 5# of feed goes -- chicks are notorious for wasting feed.

I'd probably hit a local farm store for some Sav-a-chick, a larger sack of feed (25# unless you have a good, airtight container to store 50), and some grit if you don't have a good grit source in your yard. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper that way.

8. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    I second, buy big bag chick starter. At my place all the adult and teenage chickens decide that starter is preferable to whatever I'm serving them; consequently I go thru a lot of starter when I have chicks arounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by