Is this all new chicks need food wise?

I don't know what Vitapak or Grogel is, and the only thing I feed my chicks for at least the first month is non-medicated starter crumbs. I also give them a vitamin and mineral supplement in their water. Your chicks will eat pretty much whatever you give them, but some of that stuff might not strictly be necessary for them to grow and stay healthy. If you wanted to save some money, you might be cheaper just buying a 50lb sack of chick starter locally. And yes, they WILL eat it all...

Thanks everyone, I know it said would feed 25 chicks for the first month, but I will only have 3 chicks so it should last tons longer. I'm going by a feed store today and I'll check what they have.

You'll need chick grit if you'll be feeding them treats but they don't need it while they're only eating chick feed. I never used any vitamin supplements or Gro-gel but my chicks weren't shipped in the heat of summer, either. You may want to have an emergency treatment on the ready. And yes, you'll be surprised at how fast 5# of feed goes -- chicks are notorious for wasting feed.

I'd probably hit a local farm store for some Sav-a-chick, a larger sack of feed (25# unless you have a good, airtight container to store 50), and some grit if you don't have a good grit source in your yard. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper that way.

I second, buy big bag chick starter. At my place all the adult and teenage chickens decide that starter is preferable to whatever I'm serving them; consequently I go thru a lot of starter when I have chicks arounds.

Back
Top Bottom