1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is This Ameraucana Chick A Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BaileyMChicks, Mar 22, 2016.

1. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Hi. About a month and a half ago I got some Ameraucana chicks from a fairly local breeder and she said they were all pullets. I got 4 ameraucanas. There's a slight age difference in them. 2 are a few days older than the other 2. Well, one of the older ones is looking like a rooster to me. And it wouldn't be such a big problem if I hadn't already bought his 3 month old splash brother about 3 weeks ago! I hope it's a girl. The comb is getting fairly large and pink..Can someone tell me if it's a boy? It's name is Blue. I'll add pics in a few minutes. Thanks

2. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I know she is most likely too young to be able to tell sex yet but I was just hoping I can get a few peoples opinions.

3. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Oh I forgot to mention that in the first picture Blue is the bigger blue Ameraucana in the front.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  4. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    I think it's a pullet.

5. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Anyone else have any other opinions? The comb is getting pinker and bigger every day...

6. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    Does it have a tail? if it does it's a pullet., Now it looks like a pullet to me

7. TillyPeeps

TillyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2015
    Central PA
    Based on the small tail and pink comb at such a young age, I guess cockerel. I have a half ameraucana pullet (dad is a wheaten ameraucana) at the same age. Her comb is small and yellow and much larger tail. But I'm no expert.

8. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yes it does have a tail. It feathered in at the same rate as the other one it's age, and the other one looks like a pullet. Sorry the pics aren't very good it's hard to get good pics when she won't sit still and you're by yourself lol. I'm really happy that people think it's a pullet because I really don't want to have to get rid of Blue. And I don't want both Rory(Blue's older splash brother) and Blue if they are both roosters...

9. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    Ya, I think it's a pullet.

10. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Her tail is actually much bigger than the pictures suggest. I won't be able to get anymore better pics of her until Sunday because I'm going on a trip for my birthday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by