1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this Amerucanna chick a roo??? OOPS, Easter Egger [darn feed store]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jalexartis, Jul 15, 2011.

1. jalexartis

jalexartis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sold as a pullet, then 2-3 weeks old. Now, she is crowing. Yes, I know hens can crow. Please look at several pictures I have taken [on My BYC Page]. There are also links there to individual flickr pictures as well as details in my blog . Thanks for your help. --jim

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    You have a mighty fine roo there!

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    He's an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana and yes he is a rooster.

4. jalexartis

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Quote:Thanks to the two of you. As I thought. My local farm store used the wrong breed. Now, I wonder what the other two "Ameraucannas are? I'll deal with that later. Now to read more about the difference between the 2 breeds. I appreciate your response.

Jim

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Quote:Thanks to the two of you. As I thought. My local farm store used the wrong breed. Now, I wonder what the other two "Ameraucannas are? I'll deal with that later. Now to read more about the difference between the 2 breeds. I appreciate your response.

Jim

If you got them from a feed store, or a hatchery they are Easter Eggers. You can only get true Ameraucanas, that are bred to the APA standards, from private breeders. Check out the breed club website for a full list of color varieties, www.ameraucana.org.

6. jalexartis

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC

Jim

If you got them from a feed store, or a hatchery they are Easter Eggers. You can only get true Ameraucanas, that are bred to the APA standards, from private breeders. Check out the breed club website for a full list of color varieties, www.ameraucana.org.

It was a feed store. Thanks Jeremy! I will visit the Ameraucana Breed Club site. --jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by