Is this an acceptable chicken housing? (Temp)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KauAnnie, Jun 30, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    I had woken up to 3 chickens in my garage so I have no prep for their sleeping and housing. Right now they have settled in the backyard under some materials that act like shade. The entire backyard is gravel with some grass here and there but I want to have a secure area for them before the sun sets. I have a few choices as a temp; an old dog kennel (5x5x5 and I could put a tarp above) or an old guinea pig hutch (3x5 and has wire under and is raised). It is only temp, until I can go to town and get supplies to build a proper coop. The chickens are quite small, like just a little over 5 inches from head to tail. I dont know if thats small but I had another stray chicken once that was huge like almost a foot from head to tail but she got into an accident with the terriers :'(. And they will only be in these houseing overnight, as soon as I wake up (8 am) they will be roaming free. Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    The hutch would probably be the most secure area for a short while. Might even use it as the basis for an expanded coop?

3. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Is it a "have to" to have a roost in order for them to sleep? There is a pole in the hutch but it is rounded and like 5 inches high and 6 inches between the roof.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They don't "need" a roost. It's more important for them to be safe.

5. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    OK, thank you so much!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The dog kennel would work as well as the rabbit hutch. Sounds like you have 3 bantams. I see a lot of people catch stray game hens on their property.

Congrats on the new addition. Once you built a permanent coop, you'll be wanting to add more.[​IMG]. Raising chickens has been an exceptionally great experience! All my chickens are very friendly and jump in my lap. I've raised them as chicks.

7. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Thank you. I just layed down a couple of layers of newspaper and a beer box that their already sleeping in haha

8. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    I used this for my brooder. I let a guy at work borrow it to use for a temp coop until he builds one. He has 3 bantams, I think it will be perm. since its been a while and he hasn't even thought of starting a coop yet. I cannot beleive how small bantams are compared to my buffs and SLW's they are about the same age and his are soooo small.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by