Is this an adequate set up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tylerj216, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Tylerj216

Tylerj216 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Hello, I'm new to raising chicks and have done the best to make a decent place for my chicks to grow, they are six leghorns that are about two weeks old. The cardboard on top is to provide shade for half the cage. The cardboard in the front is to prevent them from sticking their heads and necks out while they sleep. [​IMG]

2. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    It looks like it might work. But they will out grow it really fast. If it is possible, make the brooder as big as possible

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    2x IF you can get your hands on an appliance (refrigerator) cardboard box, it will give you some time. Do you have a brooder for them? A coop?

4. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Many people broode chicks in there coop

5. Tylerj216

Tylerj216 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
  6. Tylerj216

Tylerj216 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    I will try to get a bigger space for them, honestly I have mostly been worried about their temps and haven't thought of how they would quickly outgrow the cage. Do you mean a brooder chicken? If so, then no I do not. And I tried posting a link but I apparently do not have permission (probably because i only made this account recently) but the coop I have is "The big green coop" that I bought from Tractor Supply.

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    A "brooder" is where you raise your chick BEFORE they go out to the coop. homestead 101 is saying you can brood/raise your chicks in a coop. There's a thread about MHP (heating pad) for keeping chicks warm, works well, simple and safer than heat lamps. Your heat light (I've used that set up before learning of MHP) source is fine, you don't have your location so not sure what kind of temps you're dealing with.

To post a link you need to copy then paste, I tried "paper clipping" a link and I don't have permission either.

8. Tylerj216

Tylerj216 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    I live in Connecticut, USA. The temperature here during this time of the year is all over the place. It's generally getting warmer now but I wouldn't be surprised if we get another frost or two. And sorry if I'm still getting this wrong but do you mean I should raise them in their coop that is outside with a heating pad?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by