Is this an albino chicken, or just missing some color gene?

paloozaparty

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Colorado
This cutie was born "highlighter yellow" as my 6yo described... then, had very slight patch of very light brown on both wings, but then grew into this solid white coloring, which I keep waiting to see some other coloring appear, but none--so, now that our clutch is 11 weeks old--I just thought that maybe she's an albino??? I googled and looked through BYC, but, though I know that most other animals (and humans) have pink eyes when they're albino, and that maybe she shouldn't have any color in her shanks--this chick has green/slate shanks, pink skin and very fair coloring elsewhere... just curious if anyone on here has any feedback about if she's albino or just lacking color gene in her feathers?... I'd also LOVE to know if anyone can determine which of our hens is her mother? I'm also 99% sure she's a she, but if you have other guesses... wow, sorry--I just asked for a lot of feedback :) her dad was sold as an Americuana chick--but, I've been reassured he's an EE, instead. The mother options are (again, this is what the farm store said the hatchery said) that the black hen is a Black Sex Link, the red hen is a Golden Sex Link, and the white/black hen is a Light-Colored Brahma.

Attachments

• chicken-parents.jpg
    chicken-parents.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 94
  • ivanka-is-she-albino.jpg
    ivanka-is-she-albino.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 62
My guess is that the dad just had a white chicken breed in his lineage, which caused a white chick. Maybe the mom was the brahma, which would add even more white genes. I don't think she's albino.

My guess is that the dad just had a white chicken breed in his lineage, which caused a white chick. Maybe the mom was the brahma, which would add even more white genes. I don't think she's albino.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I also thought she was from the Brahma when first born--but, all of her other pale features made me second guess.

She's a normal white chicken, with the green legs from the EE side of her family.
White can be either recessive (like her) or dominant white in chickens, and yes, an albino would have red eyes and pink legs.
Mary

THANK you for confirming the pink eyes question! And, I see that you have white chickens, so I really appreciate your input to her being a standard white chicken vs. albino :D

Back
Top Bottom